Monday, October 25, 2010

Streusel Coffee Cake

So I am back cooking after being sick for the past three days.  Today I decided to make coffee cake; it is gloomy and rainy here so I wanted something to warm me up.  For the first time I had to go buy ingredients, which was the hardest part of my day.  Walmart in Strongsville has absolutely nothing and also they mislabel their aisles.  All I needed was some baking powder and the place that was marked "baking powder" had none.  Eventually I resorted to walking up and down the baking aisle until I found what I needed, but seriously how hard is to to mark the correct area?  So I had to make two different parts to the cake.  First I made the brown sugar pecan topping, second I made the actual cake mixture.  The topping was brown sugar, pecans, and cinnamon and the cake part was pretty typical flour, eggs, milk, sugar, etc.  To put the coffee cake together I had to put half of the cake mixture in a pan cover that with the brown sugar/pecan topping, then put the other half of the cake mixture on top and cover the entire thing with pecans and brown sugar.  It looked great going into the oven, I have to say I was extremely proud of myself for getting right back into action.  I put the cake in the oven and almost immediately the kitchen smelled so good.  For the first time the dish I decided to make smelled like it was going to come out tastey.  The coffee cake continued to bake for 30 minutes and I was getting anxious to try it.  After letting the cake cool I finally got a small taste.  IT TASTED AMAZING!!!!!!!!!  I made something substantial that tasted awesome.  I would not change anything about the coffee cake; it is moist and full of flavor.  I know I made waffles that tasted great, but waffles are pretty hard to screw up.  I had plenty of opportunity to screw up a cake and toppings.  I have a feeling this week will be filled with many other tastey projects, maybe I just needed to get into a groove or clear my mind for a few days.  I am just really happy this turned out well, I can't wait for people to try it!

Now, what to make tomorrow that can top today...

3 comments:

  1. It looks and sounds so good! I'm glad you are having successes! Can't wait to try some of your creations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is definitely a diet buster!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh!!!! i just want to eat the picture it looks so good! I'm glad you started this adventure! I can't wait to come home and try your creations. I think Thanksgiving break or Christmas break I will hire you as my personal chef. :)

    ReplyDelete