Saturday, November 6, 2010

Betty Crocker Thinks She Knows How To Make Chinese Food

I am a day late blogging about what I cooked yesterday and for that I apologize.  Yesterday I decided to try something new, a rice dish.  The most appealing dish was fried rice.  I did not really think anything of the dish when I was making it, then someone brought up the fact that Betty Crocker should be teaching people to make pies and not dabble in Chinese food.  I would actually have to agree with this person, Betty Crocker is good at things like cakes, pies, some meat dishes, but fried rice is definitely not her forte.  The recipe at certain points tasted very good, but in the end was a mushy mess.  The fried rice was fairly easy to make.  The hardest part was chopping up the onion because for some reason looking at an onion makes my eyes water.  Getting through the chopping part was a challenge, but I succeeded.  I had to cook the onion and other vegetables with some oil on the stove.  After cooking the veggies for a few minutes I added cooked white rice and soy sauce.  I really wish the recipe ended there because the rice at this point tasted great.  It was full of flavor, and kind of crispy just how fried rice should be.  After the rice cooked for a while I then had to add 3 beaten eggs; this ruined my rice.  The egg did not cook well and made my rice very mushy.  I thought if I cooked it longer it would not be so mushy because maybe the egg would harden; that was not the case.  The rice ended up tasting more like egg than anything else and just was not very good.  I was a little disappointed because it had started off tasting so great.  I guess next time I make this rice I would just forgo the whole egg step.  At least I tried something new and made something that was actually a challenge (unlike the sub sandwich I made the day before).  

I think Betty Crocker should stick to things she is good at like making all American meals instead of making ethnic meals taste like mush.

No comments:

Post a Comment