Thursday, November 11, 2010

The New Betty Crocker

I have to say that I lost some of my confidence yesterday with the corn-dogs, therefore today I had to do something I had never tried before.  Today I decided to go to Betty Crocker's website and look up a modern recipe.  I thought this was a good idea just so I could compare how her cooking has evolved.  I found a recipe that did not stretch my cooking abilities, but I did find significant differences in her cake recipes now as opposed to her cake recipes from the cookbook I am using.  Her online recipe called from Bisquick, which by the way is made by Ms. Betty herself.  I should have known that her current recipes would call for ingredients made by the Betty Crocker label.  The cakes I have made in the past call for flour, baking powder, and salt.  The recipe I made to today was far less work and I think that took some of the fun out of it.  I used Bisquick, sugar and cinnamon for the cake mix.  I then mixed in cut up apples to the mixture.  The apple cake tasted really great and it filled my house with the most pleasant smell (thank god!).  I am still disappointed, maybe Betty Crocker updated recipes for busy people who don't have all day to work over the stove, but I want a challenge.  This was not a challenging at all.  It was actually the quickest recipe I have made to date.  The prep work took almost no time and really I didn't mix very many ingredients together.   I guess I should be happy that I made something that tastes/smells good after my failure yesterday, but I just expected more.  I am glad that I looked up new recipes online because I think it gives my blog a new twist; I will just have to find a great main dish to make.  I probably won't try an online recipe again for a while, but it was interesting to see how Betty has changed.

I most likely won't be cooking/baking anything again until Monday because I am traveling to Chicago for the weekend.  I can't wait to tackle more challenging things next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment