Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mmmmm Guacamole

I started earlier than usual today, but I have a lot to do today so it was either start earlier or don't make anything at all.  Today I made guacamole because I had a taste for it and I got a great deal on avocados, which are quite possible my favorite thing in the entire world.  I think I make pretty good guacamole on my own, but I had to follow the Betty Crocker recipe this time.  To be honest there was not much difference in taste, but I still like my own recipe better.  The Betty Crocker recipe included avocados, salt, pepper, tomato, onion and lemon juice.  The key to good guacamole is using avocados that are perfectly ripe.  Lucky I bought the avocados a few days ago so they were soft, but not mushy and had the best taste.  It was probably a bad idea to make something that I was craving so badly because I have eaten almost the entire dip already.  The good news is I still have more avocados so I can always make more.

If you want to make really good guacamole, don't follow Betty Crocker's recipe, follow mine...
2-3 ripe avocados
lemon pepper
garlic salt
tablespoon of salsa
tablespoon of sour cream
hot sauce

I personally hate sour cream, but honestly since you put so little in the mix you cannot taste it.  The sour cream really just gives the guacamole a creamier texture.  With the lemon pepper and garlic salt I season to taste; usually a couple shakes of both, no need to be exact.  For the hot sauce you can put in as little or as much as you want.  I tend to like my guacamole on the spicier side, so I add a lot.

Lesson learned from this cooking day... Betty Crocker's recipe was okay, mine is way better, ha.

1 comment: